PIN/Password Analysis Shows That We’re PredictableAugust 6th, 2013
The author of the linked article accumulated a database of hacked PINs and numeric passwords, then analyzed it to see what patterns emerged. Here are some of the highlights:
- 20% of all PINs use just five different numbers: 1234, 1111, 0000, 1212, and 7777.
- The fourth most popular seven-digit password is 8675309. (Wait for it…)
- Using a year in the form 19XX is a bad idea.
- The least used PIN is 8068.
- Including 007, 420, and 69 may seem like a neat idea, but they turn out to be quite common.
- Numbers made from drawing lines or patterns on the keypad are also popular.
(via Kim Komando)