Having just set up a new install of Windows 7 two days earlier, I learned that Internet Explorer 10 was now available for that OS. So I downloaded and installed it, only to find that it didn’t work. Every URL gave the same error message: “This page can’t be displayed.” My other browsers worked, so it wasn’t the network or the connection. After searching for a while, I found the answer from the linked article. To summarize:
- Click the cog wheel towards the upper right part of the IE10 window. This will open a menu.
- Select “Internet Options” from the menu. This will open the options window.
- Select the “Advanced” tab.
- Scroll down to the “Security” section.
- Check the “Enhanced Protection Mode” option.
- Save the options and restart the computer. Problem fixed!
UPDATE (10/30/2015): For a technical explanation of why this works, please refer to this article from Microsoft. For a less technical explanation of what “Enhanced Protection Mode” does, I recommend this article.