This year’s Ig Nobel prizes were awarded on September 20th. Here are some of the winners:
- Peace Prize: The SKN Company, for converting old ammunition into diamonds.
- Neuroscience Prize: Craig Bennett, Abigail Baird, Michael Miller, and George Wolford, for showing that false positives will occur naturally in fMRI tests—by demonstrating meaningful brain activity in a dead salmon.
- Literature Prize: The US Government General Accountability Office, for issuing a report about reports about reports that recommends the preparation of a report about the report about reports about reports.
- Anatomy Prize: Frans de Waal and Jennifer Pokorny, for discovering that chimpanzees can identify other chimpanzees individually from seeing photographs of their rear ends.
- Medicine Prize: Emmanuel Ben-Soussan and Michel Antonietti, for advising doctors who perform colonoscopies how to minimize the chance that their patients will explode.